AMERICAN HISTORY PICTURE BOOKS
These books will take you on a beautiful, heart-wrenching, inspiring, honest journey through American History, highlighting many of the people and events that are not often found in textbooks
but have played a large part in shaping our country.
Many of them tell the story of our country from the perspective of people who have been silenced and/or forgotten. Others tell the story of people doing extraordinary things in the fields of math, science, and technology. I hope that this list inspires you to dig even deeper as you
explore where we came from and where we are heading.
Clicking each photo will take you to an affiliate link where you can read more about each book. While I do earn a small portion of any book purchased through the link,
I encourage you to check your local library and/or second hand book shop. I found most of these using our local library myself.
* There are so many stories and perspectives about the early years of our nation, and before, that I never learned in school as a child. Our family enjoyed these stories that often aren't found in textbooks.
* There was much about this period that I never explored growing up.
From immigration to exploration to migration, this period in our nation's history is full of heartache mingled with hope.
* We most enjoyed reading and learning about all of the art and music that came about during
the Harlem Renaissance of this period.
1930'S & 40'S
* These decades in American history showed us the impact of World War II and some of the events that paved
the way for the Cvil Rights Movement to come.
1950'S - 1980'S
* Our favorite part of studying this time period was seeing all the people who used their talents to fight for rights!